Our client is a medical communications agency providing full consulting and communications services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. This is an opportunity to join their award winning team as a principal medical writer and be based either their London or Cheshire offices.
You will have the responsibility to write, edit, and proof-read text for company products as well as work with design and production teams to produce a range of printed and digital materials to meet the needs of clients. Alongside this you will manage and support to more junior writers in the team and have the opportunity to liaise with clients. You will primarily be working on a breast cancer account and producing a range of materials including manuscripts, meetings materials, medical affairs educational materials on a global account.
An excellent remuneration package is offered including, pension, healthcare and 25 days holidays. Our client is known for their friendly and informal working environment, where employees feel challenged and their contribution is recognised. Opportunities for career and personal development are excellent and this role also offer the opportunity to travel abroad both in Europe and the US.
- Takes and critically evaluates briefs from colleagues
- Assist with development of concepts for editorial projects
- Write or edit publication manuscripts, slide kits, monographs, newsletters, meeting reports, posters, and other materials that utilize assimilated knowledge of specialized therapeutic area
- Draft and edit work in different writing styles targeted at different audiences (including internal audiences) in different therapy areas. On all editorial projects, incorporate feedback from editorial colleagues, project team colleagues, clients and independent clinicians.
- Proof-read all editorial work to comply with house style.
- Checks and ensures quality of others work, in terms of both accuracy and satisfying the project brief.
- Devise interview questions and interview key opinion leaders
- Research medical and scientific topics utilizing various information services including in-house reference system, on-line journal subscriptions, libraries, and literature search databases (i.e., Pub Med)
- Assist with tracking and maintaining in-house references within the internal reference database system, Reference Manager
Editorial Project Management:
- Project management of one or more larger editorial projects
- Determine deadlines and budgeted editorial hours on a project-by-project basis, either from the relevant client service representative or senior editorial colleague
- Ensure assigned tasks are completed on time and within the time allocated in the project estimate
- Communicate or warn when timelines are not likely to be met as well as suggest an alternative arrangement if necessary
- Coordinate with client services and other colleagues to reach a consensus on content and style for assigned editorial projects
- Coordinate with design and production teams, sourcing graphical representations, and contributing ideas for optimizing design and layout of assigned editorial projects
- Contribute ideas to senior management to enhance productivity/competitive edge
- By drawing on working knowledge of the different tools available for communicating messages in the pharmaceutical industry, support project teams, contribute ideas, and share experiences. Play an active role in establishing a cohesive and dynamic relationship between the client services team, other editorial colleagues, and the client.
- Communicate with external clients and key opinion leaders (e.g. liaising with speakers in the preparation of briefing notes and slide presentations)
- Lead discussions on editorial elements of projects and inputs into the strategic direction of projects
- Managing and Mentoring:
- Provide ongoing support and management to Associate / Medical and Senior Medical Writers
On-Site Meeting Attendance:
- Attend conferences, scientific symposia, and advisory boards
- Participate in on-site activities as deemed appropriate (e.g. front-of-house duties, printing and duplicating slide-sets, running pre-meeting slide review with client or key opinion leaders)
- Take comprehensive notes and produce top line reports / summaries of advisory board or symposia sessions
- Assist in the preparation of newsletters from conference sessions in various formats and styles
- Assist or take the lead in creative development, and writing detailed proposals for new business
- Input into estimates for new business
- Attend and present at client meetings for new business where appropriate
- Seize opportunities for organic growth of business and advising senior strategic colleagues of any potential opportunities for new business
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A life sciences degree required, ideally combined with a Master’s degree or PhD
- Significant previous medical writing experience attained in a medical communications agency environment
- Experience of writing the full range of marketing materials including manuscripts, slide decks, training materials and adept as writing for a range of audiences
- Good therapy area knowledge with oncology being an advantage
- Computer Literacy
For more information call Jon Gawley please call 01932 797996.